SILVERcare is a locally owned, licensed home care agency that was established in 1993 in Greenville, North Carolina. We provide in-home assistance and personal care services to the elderly, disabled and injured. We like to think of ourselves as mature America’s best friend.
With fall right around the corner, that means that flu season is coming too. In fact, some doctor offices and pharmacies have already started offering the flu shot. While no one wants to get the flu, senior citizens are especially at risk for both contracting the illness and for experiencing serious complications for it. So, what can you do this flu season to help keep yourself healthy?
- It’s a good idea to take a look through your medicine cabinet. Get rid of any cold and flu medicines that have expired and restock them so you have them handy if you start to feel sick.
- Hand washing is one of the easiest and most effective things you can do to keep yourself healthy. It’s especially important to regularly wash your hands this flu season, with the COVID pandemic as a threat as well.
- Getting a flu shot is another good practice. While it’s not guaranteed to keep you from getting the flu, it does lessen your chances. And, if you still do get the flu, a flu shot can help to lessen the length and severity of your symptoms.
- Be careful about who you spend your time with during flu season. If anyone you know has recently had the flu or is experiencing flu-like symptoms, put your social call on hold until everyone involved is feeling better.
- Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is not only a good practice in general, it can also boost your immune system. So, exercise regularly, eat a healthy and balanced diet, and get a good night’s sleep.
If you need some extra help this flu season, or any time of the year, give the home care professionals at SILVERcare in Greenville, NC a call today.