SILVERcare is a locally owned, licensed home care agency that was established in 1993 in Greenville, North Carolina. We provide in-home assistance and personal care services to the elderly, disabled and injured. We like to think of ourselves as mature America’s best friend.
Falls are one of the leading causes of injuries for the elderly. This time of year, with its snow and ice, falls are especially common and dangerous. Here are some fall prevention tips to help you stay safe this winter and all year-round:
- If it’s snowing or icy outside, stay in as much as you can. However, if you must venture outside, put salt or cat litter on your stairs and sidewalk to melt the snow and ice and add traction.
- Wear shoes that fit correctly, provide adequate support, and have some traction/tread on the bottom.
- If you’re climbing stairs or ramps, be sure to always use the railing to support you.
- Review your medication with your doctor to see if any might have side effects that could increase your chance of a fall.
- Consult with your doctor about a possible exercise routine. Regular, moderate exercise can help improve your balance, coordination, and overall physical health– making falls less likely.
- Make sure that your home has clear pathways for you to get around. Keep items off the floor and move any furniture that might prevent you from getting around your home easily.
Falls can cause serious injuries, but with precaution, you can decrease your chances of falling.
For home care in the Greenville, NC area, be sure to give us a call at SILVERcare.